Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator
Vyriad is a clinical stage biotechnology company focused on curing cancer using potent, safe and cost-effective cancer therapies utilizing engineered replication competent viruses designed to selectively and rapidly destroy cancer. Revolutionizing cancer treatment is our long-term goal, requiring curiosity, perseverance, an openness to challenging convention and a commitment to excellence. The challenges are complex, the work pace is fast, and progress is seldom a straight line. All of this makes for an exhilarating environment of collaboration, discovery and fun.
The Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) coordinator is responsible for developing and implementing EHS procedures, programs, processes, and systems to ensure compliance with regulatory and company requirements. This position works in collaboration with the Biosafety officer and Occupational Health officer to mitigate EHS risks to the company, its employees, the environment and the communities in which it does business. This position reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the development, planning, and implementation of strong EHS programs in alignment with requirements and industry best practices.
- Advise employees on safety issues and compliance in specific projects and operations.
- Develop and conduct EHS training (e.g., orientation, refresher, job specific) for new employees, temporary personnel, and contractors.
- Plan, develop and implement business continuity programs, site preparedness and emergency plans and procedures.
- Stay informed of current and new regulatory requirements and other guidelines, along with considerations for implementation.
- Direct change management and site initiatives that improve employee engagement in EHS activities.
- Lead gap assessments of existing programs, identify continuous improvement opportunities, and lead the EHS Team to close gaps and implement solutions.
- Conduct monthly department safety inspections/audits in conjunction with facility management, document the results, and work with the respective groups to improve overall safety in their departments.
- Lead Incident Investigations to determine root cause and recommend appropriate corrective actions.
- Develop Incident Reports to support findings from Incident Investigations and maintain incident log.
- Review incident statistics and make recommendations for correction of problem areas.
Minimum Education, Training and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Safety, Occupational Safety and Health, or related field required, Master’s degree desirable.
- A minimum 5 years of related experience as safety coordinator or safety officer is preferred.
- In depth knowledge in ANSI/NFPA/DOT/EPA/OSHA Regulations and Standards.
- Knowledge of hazardous identification and assessment.
- Experience in writing reports and policies for health and safety.
- Familiarity with conducting data analysis and reporting statistics.
- Diligent with great attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to present and explain health and safety topics.
- Extensive knowledge of environmental regulations and policies.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Proficient in technology and equipment used in environmental inspections.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or similar software.
Physical Requirements Specific to Job
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds at times.
- Physically able to conduct inspections and carry equipment used for inspections.
- Exempt, salaried.