Director of Facility Services
Reports to Vice President of Manufacturing
The Director of Facility Services is responsible for oversight of facility operations and maintenance, utilities, environmental control systems, equipment, supply chain systems, and facility cleaning and sanitization activities. The Director identifies and reduces regulatory and compliance risk by continuously monitoring and evaluating facility policies and practices to ensure compliance is built into the operational systems. This role is accountable for the effective implementation of the facility systems management and serves as the subject matter expert on the policies, processes and procedures supporting the facility by developing a broad knowledge of the business and technology.
Fosters teamwork, personal responsibility, integrity, innovation, trust and communication.
- Exhibits an understanding of the roles and responsibilities of team members and recognizes individuals for their contributions
- Contributes to the enhancement of the groups effectiveness by exchanging information, collaborating with other team member and providing constructive feedback
- Accepts feedback and uses it to improve individual and team performance
- Adjusts to change in a positive and supportive manner
- Completes assignments on time and contributes extra effort to meet organizational needs
Adheres to high standards of personal and professional conduct
- Conducts discussion of confidential information in an appropriate setting to avoid unintentional disclosure
- Conducts work related activities in accordance with the Vyriad Compliance Program and Code of Conduct
- Complies with policies, procedures, guidelines and applicable laws and regulations when conducting daily activities
- Contributes ideas and suggestions and participates in activities that improve systems, processes and services
- Treats others with dignity, mutual respect and contributes to a work place that is free from harassment
- Supports an inclusive work environment by actively discouraging negative cultural, racial, religious, age, disability, socioeconomic, educational, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status or gender stereotypes
Directs the building and facilities management program
- Develops, maintains and implements the maintenance/engineering services plan consistent with safety issues, operational needs and budget parameters.
- Directs the completion of scheduled plant operations work.
- Supervises the work of planned construction projects.
- Coordinates the work and assists with obtaining, maintaining, and updating of contracted services related to building and equipment maintenance.
- Coordinates fire and emergency procedure drills according to regulatory requirements.
- Ensures staff training programs are developed and implemented, and effectively provide the tools and information for staff to carry out their assigned duties.
- Provides consultative advice during product development activities regarding important considerations in translation to GMP manufacturing as it relates to the facility, supply chain, and janitorial services.
- Coordinates interactions with vendors, contractors, and sales representatives regarding building equipment problems, equipment purchases, service contracts and future expansions.
- Ensures equipment, facilities, utilities, etc. are in safe operating conditions at all times.
- Ensures emergency power systems, life safety systems, HVAC systems, plumbing and electrical systems, security systems and other building related systems are functional and maintained.
- Develops and oversees the performance of equipment, facility and utility preventive maintenance, calibration and repair.
Directs the janitorial services program
- Directs and administers the housekeeping and janitorial program to provide services that create a safe, sanitary, comfortable, and attractive environment for staff and visitors.
- Develops and implements the janitorial practices and schedules for the GMP manufacturing and support areas that are consistent with safety, infection control requirements, operational needs, and budget parameters.
Directs supply chain management program
- Directs and administers the supply chain management program to ensure procurement and transportation of all materials and services, including manufactured products with a focus on delivery performance to the customer, inventory turns, product quality and cost.
- Develops and implements the supply chain practices and schedules for the GMP manufacturing and support areas that are consistent with operational needs and budget parameters.
Demonstrates effective leadership skills
- Promotes adaptation and flexibility in a rapidly changing environment. Acts as a change leader through team building and influence. Willingness to make difficult or unpopular decisions when warranted.
- Collaborates with colleagues to identify efficient solutions which meet the needs of a variety of stakeholders.
- Effectively evaluates risk, including issues which may involve ambiguity and have significant impact on business and/or personnel decisions. Utilizes good analytical skills, intuition, and other expert resources as appropriate to develop response/plans.
- Recognizes the need for self-development and growth needs to improve personal and professional skills.
Leads by creating a positive environment of open communication and staff development.
- Provides continuous and timely performance feedback to direct reports, including coaching on performance management and professional advancement.
- Provides employee recognitions for accomplishments in a thoughtful and timely manner.
- Delegates work assignments to staff as appropriate, considering employee strengths and expertise to address associated tasks.
- Mentors individuals, based on individual needs, to meet current job expectations and career goals.
A bachelor’s degree in a science related field, engineering discipline, or related field and a minimum of 10 years of cleanroom facilities operations experience with increasing responsibilities in complex research or manufacturing environment.
Experience and Skill Requirements
Experience in the pharmaceutical and/or biopharmaceutical facility management and utilities, engineering, maintenance, computerized systems and validation activities in a GMP environment. Previous experience with FDA current Good Manufacturing Practices, European Union regulations, and/or ISO certification for product manufacturing is required.
Exceptional human relations and communication (written, verbal, and listening) skills are required. Organizational project management skills are essential, along with analytical and critical thinking abilities. Should be very detail-oriented and have the ability to work independently and productively with minimal direction, and routinely exercise initiative and sound judgment. Must have the ability to lead, motivate and influence others. Compliance issues may create difficult situations for the individuals involved; therefore, objectivity and professionalism are essential.
Must have demonstrated capacity to comprehend complex protocols, programs, and situations. The ability to exercise good judgment in ambiguous situations while under pressure and tight deadlines, and strong coping skills are required. Must be flexible in adapting to a variety of responsibilities, work assignments, and priorities. Must be self-motivated and able to independently schedule workday activities with minimal direction.